Tuesday 28 September 2010

Bits and Pieces

A few random thoughts of late, but I'll just share one per post.  First, last night was meant to be my first shift of the academic year in the library at college.  As a post-grad on a bursary, I have to give a 3-hour shift every other week.  I should say I get to do that, though, because I truly love it.  It harkens back to my job through seminary, at the circulation desk of the seminary library.  Quiet, peaceful, rarely an upset person in a library.  And it fed the OCD corner of my brain to spend an hour each night reading the shelf marks to make sure books are in order, and another hour straightening the shelves.  I know, I know, it's crazy of me.

And now, in another library, in another country, at another theological school, I get a dose every couple of weeks.  Silly as it seems, those are some of my most productive PhD moments, thinking through my research as I reshelve books in the calm of an autumn evening.  And I enjoy it so much sometimes, that I wonder if I've missed a turn somewhere?  Probably not, really, but given another life, I would become a librarian in a heartbeat.

What would you be if you could choose again?

No comments:

Post a Comment