Friday 18 September 2009

Fridays, Saturdays, and Worms

Today is Friday.  I love Fridays, mostly because I can stay up late and not feel guilty about it.  :)  I also love to sleep, and Saturday mornings has always been my sleeping-in time.  Finally, I love my husband.  Even more than Fridays and sleeping in.  So a new pattern is emerging in my life.  I'm heading to bed earlier on Friday nights, so that I don't need to sleep in as much on Saturday, so that Big Man can get up early and go to our garden allotment without feeling guilty about making me get up to watch Little Man   See how that works?  Well, it does on the good days, anyway.  Tonight, I'm feeling a bit under the weather, so I would like to sleep in tomorrow, but Big Man has had a crazy week, and really needs his time in the dirt tomorrow.  :)

Little Man and I went with Big Man to the allotment for the first time last week, and it was a lot of fun.  Big Man has been 'allotmenting' for several months now - we bought into a plot already being worked by several of our friends at college.  He really enjoys having a hobby that he gets to do with friends.  He's the allotment handyman, as well, and has put a ton of hard work into getting the plot cleaned up, built up, and in shape.  The people who had our plot before us pretty much trashed the place.  All manner of glass, wood, metal, plastic, and any other kind of non-degradable debris has been turned up by the shovels and spades.  This is one reason that Little Man has only just now made his first visit - it wasn't safe to turn him loose at first.

Little Man spent three hours basically digging for worms in one of the planting beds.  And my word, did he ever find some!  At one point, he came over to me with his hands cupped together, holding a heaping, overflowing, wriggling pile of worms--pink, grey, green, and brown ones.  Quite a sight to behold.  I only wish I'd had my camera with me!  I was reminded over and over again of the book I read as a girl, How to Eat Fried Worms.  Eeeeeeewwwwww!  I'm sure Little Man will love that book.

I spent my time, not only oooohing and ahhhhing over Little Man's latest worm find, but also weeding a bed of leeks.  My dad often put us on weed detail in his garden when I was a girl, and I hated it.  This wasn't much better, if I'm honest.  The work itself, anyway.  I'm not good at weeding; I leave behind too many little bits, and can't always get the roots out.  Big Man even said I need a weeding tutorial from Peter, one of our allotment partners.  :D  It was made infinitely more enjoyable, though, by the fact that, instead of my big brother chucking dirt clods at me, my friend Deirdre was in the next bed, also weeding, and occasionally exclaiming over a potato discovery, and chatting with me about gender identity and other fun things.  (Though, I miss my brother enough right now that I'd let him chuck those dirt clods again if it meant he was in the garden with me.)

So tomorrow, I will get up and play with Little Man, who is also feeling a little under the weather, instead of sleeping in or even allotmenting with Big Man.  And my husband will come home later in the morning absolutely filthy, but happy, and carrying yummy fresh veg, and satisfied with a good thing in his life.  And that is worth a few hours of sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment